Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Blessings of Technology

My niece was born yesterday.

Yesterday evening, Craig sent me a picture of my niece by cellphone. I skyped with my niece. I let people know by facebook that she had been safely born into the world. I wrote a blog telling anyone who would like to know that my niece was a beautiful healthy baby to the glory of God. After I did all that, I marveled for a minute about the blessings that technology brings.

A mere 25.75 years ago, I was born. If someone had wanted to see me as a newborn baby, they had to come to the hospital. If they wanted to tell others about me, they had to call another person almost definitely on a hardline hoping that someone was around to pick up. A person if they were away from that birth would miss out on a lot of the celebration.

I was away, yet I can tell my niece when she's older that I was able to celebrate with everyone on the day of her birth. I got to see her and hear her, even though I was not able to hold her. Praise the Lord that He has blessed men and women in this world to dream and create this kind of technology for the benefit of His children.

Now you can argue about the dangers of technology and it's dismal effects on society. But we cannot downplay the blessings that it provides as well. As a vain exercise, I think about what it would be like if Paul would have had Skype to talk with Peter and Apollos. What if Athanasius had blogged during his exiles and all the people of the world could have read what he had written? What if the Cappadocian Fathers had had Facebook? I know, I know. Feel free to mock this vain exercise. God did not ordain it to be, so perhaps I should not think this, but it is still fun.

We cannot deny that there are many blessings to technology. And I thank God that I was able to utilize that which He has given to bring joy to my life.

+Kyrie Eleison+

2 comments:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

Think of the degratory stuff written on Athanasius' blog

Jay Hobson said...

Somehow I think those great debates against Arianism taking place on his blog would have had a little less impact with anyone and everyone willing and able to give their opinion.