Monday, April 12, 2010

"Oh Man!" Moments

Well, I preached a sermon yesterday on the peace of God. That was a good thing. However, I had two "Oh man!" moments during the course of yesterday.

The first was a pleasant surprise. During the 8:00am service yesterday while I was about 3/4 of the way through preaching my sermon, I spied my fieldwork pastor from Fort Wayne in the congregation. It caused my first "Oh man!" moment and I proceeded to lose my train of thought and become completely self-conscious. I lost my place on my manuscript, and once I found it my brain was on auto pilot for the rest of the sermon. It was nerve wracking. No one said they noticed, but I like to think they are just being nice to the vicar. :) Nevertheless, it was a pleasant surprise to see him there and briefly chat with him after the service.

The second was not so pleasant. I received a phone call last night about one of the people I have in bible class. It was delivered secondhand to me that this person would not be returning to bible class because what I taught and the way I taught were too difficult to understand. "Oh man," right? That was disheartening, since one of the few "ability" qualifications Paul gives for pastors is that they are "able to teach".

+Lord have mercy, on me+

2 comments:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

Never trust second hand info - always go get it confirmed at the source. Go straight to the person rumored to be leaving, and listen to them - ask questions. And then see where it goes from there.

Jay Hobson said...

And I plan on doing just that, when I get the chance. However, I believe the information is quite correct. This person has not been in bible class the past few weeks and I had suspected my teaching style and content were the reason. This is mere "confirmation" of what I had already suspected.