Thursday, September 10, 2009

On Having Children



I read this article concerning women who have lots of babies. I thought it did a fine job detailing the risks involved with having so many children, while also addressing the possible health benefit. (Although, naturally, it mentions nothing of the fact that children are blessings.)

What really bothered me was not the article itself, for it was surprisingly less biased than I expected, but rather the comments that followed. The majority of them were rather critical of women who had large families. I found more often than not there was a concern over money and who was going to support these women and their children - most claiming the family irresponsible and freeloaders off the government.

Talk about the hold money has on a person. It's clear that money is valued more than children from the numerous comments. And it really saddens me.

I applaud mothers who take on the responsibility of a large family and I mourn with those who have trouble or cannot conceive. But to me it seems, life is life. If the woman is blessed with many children we should not scorn her, but love her all the more for the cross of motherhood that that God has given for her to bear. We should not think her odd for having many children, but embrace the gift of life that God has given.

Honor your father and mother.
And thusly you, "Let your father and mother be glad, let her who bore you rejoice." Proverbs 23:25

+Kyrie Eleison+

1 comment:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

I agree. I think one of the worst things about society today is the stigma of a large family. I wonder if part of this isn't latent anti-Roman Catholicism, because it seems to be most prevalent in the US and Northern Europe.