Monday, September 29, 2008

Read it.

It has been two weeks since a post. Why?

Reading.

And this is a good thing, because that means I have been reading. So what am I reading? Lots of things.

Preaching and the Literary Forms of the Bible by Thomas G. Long.
Ia m about half way through with this book. Thus far, it is not so bad. It's a basic text on preaching the literary forms of the bible: Psalms, Proverbs, Narratives, Parables, and Epistles. It's not bad, and I can see how it can help shape the mind in going about preaching the text.

Christian Dogmatics vII by Francis Pieper
If you love Christology, you will somewhat enjoy this book. Again, I am only about half way through this book and Dr. Scaer has said this book in itself doesn't do a satisfactory job of covering the fullness of the work of Christ in the atonement. We shall see when I get to the atonement section.

Key Words in Church Music ed. Carl Schalk
An expanded and updated edition of the work that came out in 1978, this is good broad selection of essays on Church Music in general. I bought this book in order to study the music of the church. I wanted a foundation in hymnody as I study. But, I got side tracked and learned that Luther added O Christ to the beginning of each petition of the Agnus Dei.

Where God Meets Man: Luther's Down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel by Gerhard O. Forde.
I started this book at the beginning of the year in my spared time. I am halfway through it. It'll probably be on the back burner for another two weeks until the 1-day fall break gets here.

Luther: Man between God and the Devil by Heiko A. Oberman
I will begin this tonight. It's a book on Luther and I am looking to sink my teeth deeper into something a bit more than a general Martin Luther biography. It's for a paper in Church History III, so it'll be read by Sunday evening.

The Song of Roland
Hey, everybody's gotta have a little something as a break from class reading.

Well, that's about it.

+Kyrie Eleison

1 comment:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

The song of Roland is your break? Um. . . don't go out on the town looking for a break - otherwise you may end up in lock up. No crusading for you!